Specialization Dilemma: How to know what specialization suits you

I've always wanted to become a doctor, just like my parents. And I'm happy everyone in my life wants me to be one, too. Siguro nga, kahit teachers and classmates ko noong grade school, ineexpect na nila na maging doctor ako in the future.  I remember when I was a kid, people would ask what I want to be when I grow up. I would say, "Doctor, po." Then they would tell me, "Siyempre, susundan ang footsteps ng parents, diba?"

When I was filling out my college application forms, my dad told me that whatever I do in life, he and my mom will just be there to support me. Kahit ano pa daw ang ilagay kong course, go lang, basta magiging masaya ako. Of course, without a doubt, I chose a pre-med course. I took up BS in Medical Technology. I never saw myself doing anything but medicine. Alam ko, ito talaga path ko. I mean, hello? Kulang na lang noong bata ako, pilitin kong tumanda ako agad para maging doctor na,  no joke. :)

So when college was almost done, and it was time to apply for medical schools, I got excited. I mean, ito na oh. Med school na. As for those who haven't read my other blog posts, I applied for 2 universities - University of Santo Tomas and De La Salle Health Sciences Institute. Yup, I only applied for those 2 universities. UST, of course, was a choice because this is where I took up my pre-med. DLSHSI, on the other hand, is where my mom took up Medicine, plus, the environment, just makes me feel like home. To cut the long story short, I am a third year medical student now at DLSHSI.

Few days after my third year in medicine started, they said we need to choose a mentor. To be fair, our adviser allowed us to choose 2 specializations, and from that, she will assign us a mentor. I saw a lot of people have their own choices already. And there I was, clueless of what I want to be. I asked myself, ano na ba nangyayari? Ang alam ko lang, I want to be a doctor. But what exactly do I want?

I get so jealous of people who know exactly what specialization they want to take. As I said earlier, my parents are both doctors, and it should be easy for me to choose what specialization I want. Pwede naman, na same na lang sa kanila, diba? But it wasn't. My mom's an anesthesiologist. While, my dad's a family medicine. Growing up with a mom who's an anesthesiologist made me decide to not be an anesthesiologist, not even making it as a choice, lol. My mom's schedule has always been busy. 'Yung tipong, nasa mall na kayo, but we have to go home cause there's a patient. But don't get me wrong, my mom is still the best. She never misses any important event in my life. She knows her priorities. Never niya sinabi na di siya makaka-attend ng graduation ko, o kaya wala siya sa birthday ko. She gives us her time, kaya on my part, iniintindi ko na lang talaga siya pag may times na may lakad kami, pero di na natutuloy. On the other hand, medyo, di naman ganoon ka-busy yung dad ko. Hawak niya time niya, which is why, yung dad ko talaga nagvivisit sa amin weekly sa dorm. Sometimes naman, kasama mom ko. Anyway, my dad's specialization is pretty okay. Ako lang ata ang hindi okay sa specialization niya? Hahaha! I don't know, but in med school, parang 'di ko ata kasundo ang Commed, lalo na sa exams?  LOL. So basically, my parents' specializations are out of my choices. When I was in my second year med, I actually listed my choices, pero until now, wala pa rin akong napili talaga. Nababawasan pa ata yung mga nasa choices ko. My mom would say na kung ayaw ko daw ng anes, mag OB-GYN  daw ako. But, I would tell her, on-call din yun, e.

Anyway, here's a list of my criteria for choosing a specialization.



I know, while reading the list, you can think of anything you can suggest me. Ang dami ko lang talagang kontra, I think. Hahaha. Let's go back to Anesthesiology, only number 3 met the criteria. If Family Medicine naman, number 3 does not meet the criteria. So yes, they are both ruled out.

Pediatrics, well, aside sa on-call din naman siya, I just can't be in Peds, cause of what happened to my eldest brother. I hate seeing kids getting sick.

IM. People have already suggested Nephro and Gastro. With Nephro, I think I don't like seeing dialysis patients. With Gastro, hmm, I think it met the criteria, pero idk pa rin. I'm not even sure if I like GIT modules here in med school. So, maybe I can include it in my choices.

Surgery. I think, I like Surgery. Ang cool kasi. BUT,  a.) On-call, yes. b.) Surgeons have their clinics, too. c.) Does procedures in the OR, obviously, yes. On-call + long years of residency + I'm left-handed (I think it'll be harder for me? Haay, excuses. LOL!)

OB-GYN, ito talaga pinupush nila eh. But on-call kasi, that's what's preventing me from choosing it. But, when I see it, being in OB-GYN, is like, witnessing life. I mean, we witness life naman whatever specialization we take. Yung giving of life siguro since OB-GYNs give birth. And yet again, di ko pa talaga alam.

And the list goes on. I think whatever specialization you suggest me, may masasabi akong BUTs. :(

How will you know what specialization suits you?

Is it already late that I don't know what I want to be?

Is there a chance I'll know it when I do my rotations in 4th year?

PS. I chose OB-GYN and IM for the mentor-mentee activity in class, and I was assigned with a OB-GYN consultant. I just hope he can help me figure things out. :)


2 comments:

  1. Any updates? Were you able to choose your specialty now? I really need your advice! I wanna know how you were able to decide!

    ReplyDelete